A Brief Guide on Different Types of Web Hosting Services17th Dec 2013 | Posted by Eko S. | 2 Comments
Web hosting refers to a kind of service that makes your website available to the users. One of the most important factors in building a website is that all viewers can view it on the internet. For achieving this one has to make sure that the website is running on a server that is on the internet 24 hours a day as well as 7 days per week (24X7). And for that, one stop solution is Web Hosting.
Web hosting can be done on internet. Internet is a platform that provides a global system of interconnected computer networks in order to serve billions of users worldwide. It is a typical network of networks that includes millions of public, private, academic, government as well as business networks, which are linked up with the help of broad array of wireless, electronic as well as optical networking technologies. Internet can be categorized into two parts namely clients (browsers) and servers. Browsers are the platform that one uses to get access to the internet and servers are the computers that keep and serve the information that you find on the internet. As many times you go to a website, the browser sends request for the particular web page of a website. Thus the servers are leased out to those people who want to make their websites available online. Thus this process is called web hosting.
Most commonly there are three types of web hosting services provided by the web hosting service providers. These three web hosting services have their own pros and cons which are being described and discussed below:
#1. Shared hosting:
Shared web hosting that is also known as derive hosting or virtual hosting generally refers to a web hosting service where most of the website reside on one web server that is connected to the internet.
- These are easy to use.
- They are maintained and secures by hosting provider services.
- Technical support for shared hosting is supplied by service providers.
- As the name suggests it uses shared resources that means if one site becomes really very busy as it slows down the whole server.
- It has less flexibility as well as other advanced options if compared to Virtual Private Servers (VPS) and Dedicated Hosting.
#2. Virtual private servers (VPS):
VPS is a virtual machine that is usually sold as a service by an internet hosting service providers.
- It is cost effective as compared to dedicated hosting.
- Their set up times are faster.
- They are easily upgradeable.
- It requires technical knowledge.
- The technical support provided by service providers may be slower.
#3. Dedicated servers:
Dedicated server hosting that is also known as dedicated server or managed hosting service is a type of internet hosting in which client leases an entire server that is not shared with anyone else.
- It provides large amount of disk space as well as bandwidth.
- It is entirely flexible to the user’s needs.
- It has dedicated IP address.
- It provides a complete administration access.
- It is more expensive as compared to VPS as well as Shared Hosting.
- It requires high level of technical knowledge to manage and work with it.
Thus, these are three types of web hosting services which have their own pros (advantages) ad cons (disadvantages).
He is working with one of the most famous and dedicated server hosting providers since many years. He also likes to write articles and blogs related to his field and so he is sharing some of the most important aspects of different types of web hosting services.